- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6
- Slice the onions thinly and add to warmed olive oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat; stir and cover, checking and stirring them every 10 minutes or so until the onions are soft and translucent (about 30-40 minutes)
- Preheat the grill to a moderate heat
- Using a pestle and mortar, crush the garlic cloves, a generous pinch of salt and generous glug of olive oil into a smooth paste
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and brush both sides of the mushroom caps with the garlic oil then place under the grill, approx. 4 minutes each side
- Slice the sourdough and drizzle one side of each slice with oil (if there’s any left from the garlic oil, use that!) Toast the bread and cut each slice in half
- Cut the cheese into slices and wash the salad
- Now to build your burger!! Bread, onions, mushroom, goat cheese, salad and bread
- Serve with Roast Pembrokeshire Potatoes and a glass of something delicious – we had Purdeys and it was a great accompaniment to the juicy, earthy flavours of the burger. No condiments needed here!
This recipe was donated Jade Forester from Travelling Foodie.